May 14, 2013

The Kindness of Scots

In 5 parts here is my attempt to convey how overwhelmed I am by the kindness of those I met in Scotland.

First Out in the country the roads are narrow and long and often desolate, but when I did encounter another car I could barely make out the color before it had pulled over into a turnout to let me by. It is almost a competition of sorts to see who can pull over first to let the oncoming traffic (or new friend) pass and then wave as you go by.
Those tight roads lead to places like this
and this
The lambies and cows are not so accommodating
Second To celebrate my birthday I booked a facial at a fancy Spa on Loch Lomond, but I had quite the time finding it. My navigation system never did. I pulled into a hotel and asked a passing lady for directions to the Carrick Spa. She explained it was back up the road (at least a mile). And even though her directions were perfectly adequate she hopped in her car and bade me follow her. After pulling into the correct driveway she waved me on and turned back out onto the road going the opposite direction. So sweet, I had to fight back the tears.
Third The general respect even extends to restroom signs. No "men" or "women" or "triangles" or "circles" denoting genders here.
Fourth In Edinburgh I asked a woman standing at a bus stop if she knew where to find the airport shuttle. As she responded her neighbor jumped in, both fighting to help and apologizing to the other for interrupting, I was given directions to the best airport shuttle bus ever: a double decker with upper level front seats all to myself. Only £2. If you are going to Edinburgh Do NOT pay the £25 for a taxi from downtown Edinburgh to the airport. TAKE THE BLUE SHUTTLE BUS. The views are fantastic.
Yay double deckers
Lastly I had some exceptional hosts in Scotland. Finding myself in a pickle in Edinburgh, a kind couple let me be their first airbnb.com guest with only 30 minutes notice and then my lovely hostess in Croftamie 1.5 hours away, gathered all my gear stashing it and her 1 year old daughter in her car, she drove 30 minutes to deliver everything to me (except her adorable daughter) at the nearest train station.

Scotland is Beautiful

1 comment: