Feb 28, 2013

Oslo for 1 day

Yesterday on the taxi bus plane bus walk getting here I was ready to throw in the towel, feeling displaced, tired, fearful, unsure. However, that all changed when I met my airbnb hostess and arrived at her beautiful home. She chatted, provided all kinds of useful Information and recommendations based on my interests. Her home looks like it's right out of a magazine and feels like a "home".

Combining suggestions from my hostess and a friend I set out on my first look at Norway. I had a couple things on the list but for the most part it was a "choose your own adventure day". You remember those books if you turn left go to page 82 or if you choose to go right and try to slay the dragon turn to page 101.

So it starts with the view from the apartment. Yay pink and grey. Then to the Operaen house. Then to Pascal for pear almond tart and hot chocolate, then to the Norsk Arkitektur museum. Bonus time: I find out that my ticket gets me into some other museums.






Then I just wandered and found myself at the Akershus castle and fortress.



Now at this point I'm realizing that every single sidewalk is a thick layer of ice. And I'm watching other people just walk right on them as if its a summer day. I even saw someone jogging. What kind of shoes do these people wear?



So then I walk up a hill past some police on horse back (maybe they have better traction) and slip slide down the hill to the harbor with the Nobel peace center. Another bonus: entrance is free today.



Then trying on dresses for the first time in Europe. I think it's more depressing when you find out what your European size is. Then a store: Norway Designs (I would need a truck to get all the stuff home that I want). A bunch of other home stores (love love love). The sculpture garden. Walking all day. And then to the National Gallery where they have more security guards than works of art. I guess that's what happens when your key piece of art is stolen. But it (the Scream) is back now so I guess they want to keep it safe. I like some of his (Munch's) other works better anyway.









So how is that for a whirlwind day. Tomorrow "should" be more calm.

3 comments:

  1. That's right my people have style. Let me know if you bump into any tronsen's while out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a lovely day! Well, minus the ice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your day sounds fabulous!!! And that hot chocolate & pear tart look AMAZING! Send me one?

    ReplyDelete