Apr 1, 2013

Curds and Whey


That's me with my wonderful Italian professor Andrea. Andrea was my tour guide/instructor for 5 days and if you are looking to work on your Italian in Bologna his company offers several fantastic options at Bolognalingua.com (I am not paid for this plug).

Now, between us we are holding 2 what-was-I-thinking-I-have-to-pack-this-with-me-for-how-long kilos of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (approx 4.4 pds). I suppose if I get myself into a bind I can use it to barter.

But this isn't just any Parmigiano-Reggiano. This is the real deal, aged 24 months, certified by the consortium and direct from the producer where it is handmade. I watched them cut it and vacuum-pack it for me here in the town of Sesso. I'm gonna let you lookup the translation of that name.


Here is one of those "official" wheels of Parmigiano-Reggiano weighing in at approx 37 kilos or 81 pounds. Notice the distinct markings on the rind. This one is from a different producer.


And I got to see how it's all done. You remember that spot on sesame street where they show you the cow, to milk, to cheese process, it was just like that. ok not just like that, but they were cooking the milk adding whey and enzymes gathering the curds in these ginormous cauldrons. So cool, and the smell changed from room to room. Here with the cauldrons it smelled like a warm can of sweetened condensed milk and it hung in the air like a fog.



No need for a gym membership with this job: plenty of strength training and a daily milk facial to boot.


Each of these vats will produce the cheese for 2 wheels.


Into the mold they go


This thing...that is what "brands" or stamps the cheese to make it official with all the dots, the date and name of the farm on the outside rind.


It smelled more buttery, kinda sour here


They go into a salt bath for a while


Now into the Fort Knox of cheese. Are you singing the "Raiders of the Lost Arc" theme? The one where they are wheeling the Arc of the Covenant into the giant warehouse. I was.


That's a whole lotta cheese. These were created the day of the earthquake, almost 2 years ago, and survived.


Oh and by the way. The aroma was, WOW, I don't know how to describe it. Rich, buttery, that Parmigiano-Reggiano bite (you better not be thinking of the kind in the green can). I recommend you make a trek to your local Italian food store or Whole foods and hold a wedge of the stuff to your nose and inhale. As I stood in the store waiting to buy my slices of gold one little italian gentleman after another came in. Watching them order then carry their bag out the door I couldn't help but feel this is second nature, a ritual, buying "the cheese".


You can find more info and pairing suggestions here www.parmigiano-reggiano.it

2 comments: