Apr 20, 2013

Duvet Day in Vreeland Netherlands

While in Como Italy I met an English woman, Scottish by birth. We chatted and enjoyed a refreshment while sitting at the Cafe of Villa Carlotta. Discussing the need for down time, even on vacation, those days where you just stay in bed and read a fluffy novel or watch the last 15 minutes of the BBC's North and South over and over again, she said, "we call those duvet days".

Here I am in the Netherlands about 30 minutes outside Amsterdam and I'm proclaiming today a Duvet Day! Just a glance at these photos from our houseboat and you'll understand why.

A look out the back door to the left
A look to the right
Another houseboat in the area
I planted myself right here today. Enjoying my new favorite cookie. It's buttery and soft on the outside with a mild almond paste on the inside.
And indulged in one of my favorite pass-times flipping through home decor magazines. I was giddy when I saw the stacks on the shelf in the living area.
So the views from the houseboat are from the back looking toward a bird sanctuary. The only sounds are of the water lapping against the house, wind blowing through the brush and trees, squabbling geese, ducks and storks, an occasional boat and neighborly chatter. But, if you're looking for a change in scenery just go out the front door and across the lane. Can't go wrong either way.
Happy Duvet Day!

1 comment:

  1. After I read this I totally took a "duvet hour" and watched the last 15 minutes of North and South repeatedly. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete