Apr 5, 2013

I HEART Verona

This is the Italy I've been dreaming of and didn't know it.

Julie, a new friend in Bologna, recommended Verona saying "it is a very romantic city". Thinking "I can use a little more romance in my life" I booked my train reservation and off I went.

My relationship with Verona started out with uncertainty, got a little rocky and blossomed into something beautiful.

The uncertainty is par for every new city with me. I get off the train, hopefully heading in the right direction, thinking "well this isn't what I expected", but let's see. Here newer buildings, with straighter lines and the kind of dirt that just looks dirty rather than patina'd, greet you. But it's promising because its green!

I hit rough territory at the castle. It has ramparts and a moat. I'm attracted to the mystery. But the museum guards were uber protective staring me down. Really?! 5 of you need to follow me around from room to room? Kinda creepy. Then back at the enrance my umbrella is gone.


Me and my hood forge onward. We've seen worse.

Taking a chance, I go into a restaurant for lunch, Enocibus. I still get butterflies when going into a restaurant in a foreign country. There's a bit of commitment required. Will servers and other diners glare at the tourist for the duration or will the dialogue be welcoming. Yay, it was the latter! A little awkward at first as we were both trying to understand each other but the husband and wife duo were such sweethearts. I think they gave me a discount. And the polenta with funghi is warming on this drizzly day.



So with a spring in my step and some food in my tummy I see this


And this


And stores that look like this


And oh my gosh I can't believe I'm seeing this


Then a lovely girl at Stefanel dresses me up like this. And I want it all!


But, it's a little out of budget, so what does a girl do to lift the spirits...buy a handbag and stop in the very next chocolate store she sees: Lavazzoler Chocolat.


I make the obligatory visit to Romeo and Juliet's balcony which has nothing to do with the original. And wading through the umbrellas catch couples in the act of declaring their love here.


But I still have 1 more highlight on my map. So heading towards the river through narrow cobble stone streets with dainty scrollwork balconies dripping with greenery and flowers I emerge to see this.


And I'm so amazed I have to share another angle.


Across the bridge up the winding stairs to catch these glimpses of Verona.




Then, like a twitterpated girl who has stayed out past curfew I drag myself away and walk/run back to the train station, boarding 1 minute before departure. I pull out my chocolates; the recommendation from the chocolate shop standing out from the rest: hearts.


3 comments:

  1. The castle and the view was totally awesome! It reminds me of my mission. :) Peddled past there on my bike a lot of times everyday. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dang. I've always had a lovely fantasy about Verona, but NOW? Now I know it would be full on love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella Bambina,
    You are bringing back chocolates for all of us, right?
    Laurent

    ReplyDelete