Apr 7, 2013

La Spezia, Italy

Leaving Bologna I resolved to only eat vegetables and fish for the following week to off-set all the gelato and carb filled meals I enjoyed there. Arriving in La Spezia (the gateway to Cinque Terre), my airbnb.com host recommended a really good budget friendly fish place right on the dock: Dai Pescatori. Perfect. Right in my meal plan, that is until I see everyone ordering Frittura--a plate of fried calamari and prawns. So I can't resist and I'll tell you in a bit why I don't feel one bit guilty.

You may also notice 2 plates and 2 waters. The lady I paid also looked confused when I said it was for one. I needed extra water and I just had to try the other dish, with fish of course, and potatoes and olives and pine nuts.

 I polished off the Frittura. Those prawns were the best I have ever had. The whole prawn (minus the eyes) including legs and shell was sweet with a salty crunchy exterior. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I completely understand why the line out the door is 20 people deep. And just a couple of bites of the other dish was enough. Good, but had to go with the Frittura.


And this is why I don't feel guilty.


I found a little trail and thought I would wander a bit....


Straight up a gazillion flights of stairs.


I had no idea where it was going


but I was enjoying the sunshine and shedding the winter layers one by one.


I passed a few other hikers. One in particular, an Italian woman coming up the stairs. She had a torrent of words for that hike up. I said "non parlo Italiano" and smiled. Then she said a whole lot more, in Italian, pointed down, pointed up, and said "capiche"? Gave several sighs, waved her hands and said "capiche"? I smiled, nodded my head. I knew exactly what she meant. That trail kicked my behind too.


Pretty awesome view. Yep I earned my dinner tonight.


La Spezia has a lovely town center. I love the architecture. And, except for the herd that was expelled from a cruise ship for a couple hours I had a relaxing boardwalk stroll.

2 comments: