Apr 8, 2013

Cinque Terre

Yesterday was my designated Cinque Terre day, those 5 little cliff hugging towns along the northwest coast of Italy. But the weather and a train/bus strike tried to thwart my plans for some sightseeing. No boats were running due to the rough sea. So sad. All the buses stopped running just when I thought "well ok I'll go visit another town". A train worker was totally unhelpful.

The highlight of the morning: walking by a little Tabbacceri, a convenience store of sorts, just as my umbrella lost 3 more corners. I looked down to see umbrellas for sale. I must have had quite the look on my face because the shop owner laughed and then helped me pick out a new one. I'm calling this one The Silver Bullet. Because I think if I name it it will stick with me. You see, I'm on my 4th umbrella in 2 weeks. #1 lost #2 stolen #3 a lemon #4 The Silver Bullet.

So after a little regroup session I jumped on the train to Cinque Terre, or for me Due Terre because I was perfectly happy to hit 2 of the towns after the soggy events of the morning.

Riomaggiore




This is the second time in 2 days I have seen a full set of Snow White and the seven dwarves statues displayed outside a home. Someone please explain.



I really am quite speechless as I climb the stairs and get lost in the labyrinth of paths through this town. It seemed I was completely alone here at times and then WHAM I would hit a german tour group.

 

Vernazza

Check out the super secret boat passage. Argh!



That red flag means dangerous sea today.




I really did stand and gawk, weather permitting, quite a bit.




1 comment:

  1. Let us know if you find out about that Snow White thing!

    ReplyDelete