Mar 10, 2013

Copenhagen for 6 hours

I think I've died and gone to heaven. Or I'm just so tired and so hungry that any crusty piece of bread and a candle will do.

I've been wandering around Copenhagen, in the biting cold. The kind of cold where you can't tell your nose is running because your face is numb.

And I got lost for a good hour looking for a bakery. Never found the one or three I was looking for. But I found a lot of other treats...


Starting with Copenhagen Cathedral and the Thorvaldsen Christus sculpture


Rosenborg Castle and a moat!





No explanation here--except that's me too cold to ask someone to take a picture.




I just happened to walk past the Amalienborg Castle at the top of the hour and the guards were on the move. I swear one followed me for a bit. I didn't take any pictures, however, I did get a picture of this guy. The florist shops in Scandinavia are beautiful.


Getting lost wasn't so bad because I stumbled on this.


But back to the food, a pick from Where Chefs Eat
Where: Brdr.price
What: a crispy on the outside spongey on the inside loaf of sourdough bread with butter, mussels in a butter garlic sauce, crispy fries. I feel sorry for my neighbor on the afternoon train to Hamburg already. and a lemon meringue pie of sorts. And still water
Total: a little splurge but worth it





Remember my quest for a bakery. I found one. I just had to have a Danish from Denmark. I bought these goodies for later. I wish I could say they both made it to "later". The one on the left was dinner. They are better when they are fresh right? The one on the right was breakfast the next day. Not so good. So my fresh theory is right.


And then with 1 hour until departure time I stopped in Ny Carlsberg Clyptotek intending to look at some French and Danish art. One glance at this, the winter garden, and I sat myself down for a spell. Green. I haven't seen it since I left California in January. And palm trees. They warm my heart.



So there is my Copenhagen in a snapshot. Would I go back someday? Definitely. I have to so I can get in to Noma.



1 comment: