Mar 2, 2013

Penny Loafers



Did you know the penny loafer originated in Norway? Or as it's called here the Aurland shoe. I still remember my first pair...a deep burgundy high shine number. I loved those shoes. At the Bryggen museum in Bergen you can try on a pair of Aurland shoes or wood clogs to find your match. Oh and I did.



My train got into Bergen after dark last night. Thank goodness my hostel (which I'm loving by the way) was only 2 minutes away. So when I woke up to this--the view from my window--I knew I would love Bergen.



I see a habit taking a lovely shape: a pastry or baked goody with hot chocolate in the morning. This pastry is a Solski Brodet or sunshine bread. Gosh I hope I spelled that right. It is missing the Norwegian characters. It was soft, a little doughy in the middle with a good helping of custard in the center. The cream on that hot chocolate was the real deal, tasted extra dairy-y.



Then I just wandered enjoying the scenery: the old wood buildings on the wharf (a UNESCO world heritage site), the windy steep streets going up the mountain, the colors of the buildings, the old Norwegians or Vikings keeping watch. Not so much the bitter wind though. And then I must admit I came back and watched a movie on iTunes. Just keeping it all in balance.











6 comments:

  1. Ha...I remember my first pair od penny loafers also. And, I'm so happy to hear you're liking the hostel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your penny loafers in college! And man. It is so gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remember my beautiful cherry penny loafers....I remember you ginormous tub of shoes :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, MAN. The green one? Ha! It was huge. I'd love to say I didn't have as many any more, but... ;)

      Delete
  3. I absolutely LOVE your pastry & hot chocolate habit! I'm giving you the assignment of being a hot chocolate connoisseur and discovering what country/region has the BEST hot chocolate! Sounds like you had a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie I love the hot chocolate idea. I'm doing it :)

      Delete