Mar 6, 2013

Stavanger

Sunday I mentioned that all my plans had completely changed for the week and here is why.

My new friend in church on Sunday helped me find an old friend.

15 years ago we were missionaries in the state of Washington. Yep, black-name-tag wearing, door knocking, happy smiling missionaries.

Before my big trip I made calls, I searched emails, Facebook, online, with no success. I left for Norway hoping but not expecting that I might still find her. Well somehow the stars aligned and someone knew her and her new last name and helped me find her. So instead of hopping on a plane to Stockholm on Monday I stayed in Bergen one more day and took a 5 hour bus ride to Stavanger (by the way the most beautiful bus ride ever!) tuesday morning to see...



I had such a wonderful time catching up, reminiscing, spending time with her wonderful children. They are "Ticket to Ride" pros--a game I have not played in years. So gracious and endearing. Oh. And we enjoyed some yummy Norwegian food too: home baked hearty bread and all the accompaniments.



Notice the brown cheese in the bottom left, it's tasty with raspberry jam, and the mackerel in tomato sauce, my favorite.



It was such a treat that I will always hold dear. Somehow this last photo is so befitting for the day. I snapped it while wandering around the little pond in central Stavanger.









5 comments:

  1. LOVE this! So glad you got to meet up with an old friend! Those hearts were placed there just for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola - loving your blog! I am a friend of Rachel and Katie's that you only see at their Christmas brunch and maybe a random sing-a-long! So glad you're enjoying your trip and sharing it with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I know you ;) and I'm pretty sure you were there for the big announcement of this adventure.

      Delete