Mar 30, 2013

Zurich with CHOCOLATE

The goal: find MY favorite Swiss Chocolate
How: visit as many chocolate boutiques as my feet and stomach can handle
The method: buy 3 chocolates from each store with the following criteria.
Chocolate 1: should be a "like" chocolate across all stores for a baseline comparison.
Chocolate 2: one of my choosing.
Chocolate 3: one recommended by an employee of the chocolatier.

Disclaimer: The findings in this post are the opinion of the writer. The writer recognizes that others may have a different opinion and that's OK, because it leads to more wonderful chocolate in the world. Also, there are many other chocolatiers not mentioned in this post. This is not due to the quality of the chocolate but the state of the writer's feet and chocolate threshold. Yes, there is a limit to the quantity of quality chocolate one can consume in a day.

The first stop: Confiserie Sprungli

The heady aroma of rich chocolate is stronger than even the feast for the eyes; the shelves and cases lined with bright colored packages for Easter and individual truffles, pralines and goodies all waiting to be taken to good homes. Squishing through the crowded space I order my first 2 pieces, then ask for the Sprungli associate's favorite. Which brings a smile and a recommendation. I take it. We chat. I share it is my first day in Switzerland and she says, "you are starting with the perfect place".

Next stop: Truffe

This store is different. No individual pieces, but bars and box assortments collected from a variety of Swiss chocolatiers all handmade. It doesn't fall within my criteria, but I can't resist. The lovely conversation with the owner and the lavender packaging won me over. She, the owner, is from Firenze she came to Zurich for love. Her grandmother is from Bologna, my next stop. Speaking of "home," she has been in Zurich for 20 or 30 years. She has wonderful friends here. But they don't share a history of growing up in the same community with the same people. That is home. Pondering this and hoping I always remember her sparkly earrings, tawny red hair and pink necklace I leave in search of the next shop.

Teuscher Confiserie

The smell here is even sweeter then Confiserie Sprungli, more vanilla. It is dripping with flowers and Easter. The associate recommends a nougat. A soft chocolate center with a crunchy outer layer robed in another layer of chocolate.



Aeschbach Chocolatier

Meandering across a bridge I find Aeschbach Chocolatier. The smell here is fruitier, with a hint of spice. When asking for a favorite I'm directed to an orange marzipan or dark chocolate ganache topped with apricot. No contest--apricot. With a knowing look, her response is "good choice".

Confiserie Honold

Last stop Confiserie Honold. I'm overwhelmed by the crowd, all of us standing around the counter trying to get someones attention. I don't smell anything, maybe the attached cafe is sucking away the aroma of chocolate. I order my 3 pieces. Part 1 of my mission complete.

Behold the beautiful Bounty

There were alot of exceptional contestants.
With chocolate covered hazelnuts, a fleur de sel carmel, and the recommendation, a dark chocolate ganache with hazelnuts dusted with cocoa powder, Confiserie Sprungli is MY winner.



I don't know what they do to the hazelnuts, some kind of crunchy sweetness. Each of their pieces struck a chord with me. So divine...I went back the next day and bought 3 more.


So the smiling Sprungli lady was right, I did start with the perfect place.

10 comments:

  1. You just lived my dream! Excuse me as I cry that I don't have a chocolate boutique anywhere near me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See comment below. Seriously: chocolat convention.

      Delete
  2. Zurich won! Zurich won! It's kind of a dream destination for me! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fleur de sel carmel: ALWAYS my winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Close my eyes and say, "I wish I was in Zurich" three times, click my heels and....nope. Still here. :( Seriously, I loved the post. Your writing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I think we should all go to Zurich together (you would all love each other I know) and have our own chocolate convention.

      Delete
  5. Oh man...my dream come true! Some day, when I win the lotto, I'm going to do an entire trip to Europe with the sole purpose of tasting chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I'm 100% in for the chocolate convention!!! I love reading your posts-- Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete