Mar 29, 2013

The Benefits of a Hotel Hair Dryer

I took a huge risk: traveling WITHOUT hair dryer.

For those born with silky smooth hair I am envious. You see...in my sophmore year of high school wavy, frizzy, unmanageable-in-wet-weather-hair came, uninvited and never left. Back then, there were no anti-frizz products, or brazilian blowouts. Heck, I didn't even know about the magic of a round brush. This was before Friends and all the "how to's" that came with the Jennifer Aniston haircut. A major requirement for taming this rat's nest is a strong hot hair dryer.

note: the only lasting cure I'm aware of is pregnancy. My sister is living proof (seriously, is that what I have to do).

So now you understand the magnitude of this challenge and why I am grateful for a hat. Sorry you are seeing the same hat in EVERY SINGLE PICTURE. Believe me you don't want the alternative. Oh and it's cold too.

So here's a little review of the hair dryers I've encountered.

Hotel in London: had hair dryer. Good start. Strengthened my index finger because constant pressure was required to keep the dryer operating. Also developed skills to coif hair by touch, as the dryer was attached to the wall and not near a mirror.

Hotel in Paris: I felt like someone from Tatooine was going to walk in at any moment and ask for their jet pack back. This one worked surprisingly well.

Hostel in Bergen: had a real hair dryer. Great! Could not use it because the roommates were asleep until 11:00. The bedroom was the only place to use it. The shaggy puppy dog look makes an impression at church in a foreign country.

Airbnb.com accommodation in Oslo: We have a winner! A real hair dryer in the bathroom available to plug in any outlet.

There have been other high/low points, like the fantastic hair dryer in Sweden and the not-so-good frizz inducer in Czech Republic, so please keep this in mind as I post pictures like the following...because the scenery is just too amazing not to post this picture of my boofy mane in Dozza, Italy or...



this hat hair (not to mention the closed eyes or goofy pose) overlooking Bologna, Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment